I love to make simple one dish meals. This one dish chicken and baby cabbage dinner is one of my ultimate favorite dinners. It is easy to make, very tasty and doesn't leave you with much washing up to do.
If you are putting together a list of must have easy keto recipes, then add this one to your list.
- 8 pieces of chicken - I use drumsticks and thighs
- 1/2 a chopped or ringed onion
- 1 shredded baby cabbage
- 2 sliced tomatoes or 8 halved baby tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of baby capers
- 6 ounces of thick sour cream
- 2 ounces of Parmesan cheese (Optional)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 teaspoons of dried mixed herbs
- A tablespoon of fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
This recipe makes 4 to 6 servings.
- If you like a sharper taste, you can replace the tomatoes with sundried tomatoes.
- If you want to chicken skin really crispy, first sear the chicken pieces until brown and sealed in a skillet on the stove.
- You can replace the capers with olives or leave them out completely.
- I love rosemary, so often use more than listed above, but it can be strong so experiment with how much you like.
- Preheat the oven to 360 degrees
- Rub the inside of the dish with a little butter
- Fill the bottom of the dish with the raw onion
- Layer the baby cabbage on top of the onion
- Add the tomato as the third layer
- Sprinkle in the capers
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the Parmesan cheese over the tomato layer
- Sprinkle in half the rosemary and herbs
- Flavor with salt and pepper
- Soften the butter and mix it with the sour cream
- Drop about a quarter of this mixture evenly on the veggies
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and pack them on top of the vegetables
- Sprinkle the rest of the rosemary and herbs onto the chicken pieces
- Cover the chicken with half of the butter and cream mixture
- Place in the oven without a lid and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes until the chicken should be crisp on top
- Turn over the chicken and cover them with the cream and butter mixture
- Add the rest of the Parmesan cheese on top
- Place the dish back into the oven under the grill for 15 to 20 minutes until the cheese and the chicken are browned and crispy
- Let it rest for a couple of minutes and enjoy...
I was lucky enough to have inherited two Corningware cornflower blue dishes from my mother.
The bigger 3L casserole dish is perfect for this chicken meal.
I was surprised to find these dishes at Amazon. If they remind you of your childhood, you can check them out by clicking on the picture.
For another great oven chicken recipe, watch Amanda Frederickson first sear her chicken thighs and then bake them in the oven with onion, chicken stock and lemon juice.
If like Amanda, you want to make doubly sure that you chicken is cooked through, you can try a meat thermometer like this one.
Share or Pin it to Save for Later!
Please let us know how you like this chicken and baby cabbage recipe in the comments below. If you prefer less fatty chicken dishes, you may prefer our easy keto stuffed chicken breast recipe.